Spring is well here, even tough with all that rain, Burlington residents got this week, has made it feel more like it’s fall or something. Basically, we got a month’s worth of rain in a week!
Nevertheless, the spring is here, so put away winter shovels, ice salt bags, heavy boots and winter jackets! To help homeowners with their spring home maintenance chores, we’ve put together a small list of main things to check as you go along. A little prevention goes a long way.
- Check your siding for weathering and clean it up with pressure water. If you see any paint chips get those fixed. While you’re at it, check the outside caulking for any deterioration.
- Examine your windows, doors and wood trim around those, fix is necessary.
- Tune up your AC by calling a qualified professional HVAC contractor. Small maintenance now will ensure that your AC operates optimally. Chang the air filter as well while you’re at it.
- Check your gutters for any leaks or blockage.
- Use compacted soil to fill the areas around your home foundation. You don’t want any favourable ground for insect breeding.
- Examine your roof shingles for any damage that might have occurred during the winter
- If you have a chimney now is the time to inspect that too. Perhaps consider getting it cleaned by a pro.
- Check your foundation, concrete slabs for any cracks, movement or chips. Fill it the cracks if you have to, as long as it’s not a structural issue.
- Inspect your outside faucets for any plumbing issues and your garden hoses.
- Check all your lawn equipment to ensure it’s ready for yard work.
- Clean and fire up your BBQ, get it ready for another season.
- Check your deck and patio for any damage or issues. You may have to get your deck treated. Bring out your patio furniture.
- Time to do some Lawn care, and gardening preparation, trim overgrowth. If you have a sprinkler system, time to check that too.
- General cleaning – move furniture around, appliances, get all that dust and dirt out. Here is some more info on home spring cleaning and organizing tips.
- Clean out your air circulation vents, you’d be surprised how much dust accumulates.
- Basement check for dampness, leaks, insects, mold.
- Check your attic for any signs of insects or mold.
- Check taps for any water leaks.
Lori VanDinther, a Burlington RE/MAX Agent and a long time resident of Burlington has been helping real estate buyers and sellers in Burlington, Oakville, Carlisle, Kilbride, Waterdown and surrounding areas for 23+ years! Thinking of moving to Burlington? Or selling your home? Contact Lori today to help get you on the right path to success.